Sweet Potato & Coconut Soup
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
500g sweet potatoes, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3” piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
600ml vegetable or chicken stock
400 ml can coconut milk
2 tablespoons grated or desiccated coconut
Salt & pepper to season
1. Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion for about 10 minutes.
2. Add the chopped sweet potato and fry for 4-5 minutes until the flesh has started to brown.
3. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli flakes, stock and coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes.
4. When the sweet potato is tender, use a hand blender or food processor to blend, then return to the pan to season to taste and heat through.
5. Serve with warm cheddar wheaten bread with seeds.