Easter Chocolate Cupcakes
To make a vanilla alternative, leave out the cocoa powder and make the batter as per recipe.
Kids will enjoy decorating these for Easter with mini eggs and chocolate bunny rabbits.
110g caster sugar
110g self-raising flour
2 large eggs
30g cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tablespoons hot water
For the chocolate buttercream:
110g butter, softened
220g icing sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180oC and line a cupcake tray with paper cases.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl with a wooden spoon.
3. Crack the eggs into the bowl and mix in well.
4. Sift in the flour and fold in gently until well combined.
5. Mix the cocoa powder with the hot water until it forms a stiff paste.
6. Mix the cocoa paste thoroughly into the cupcake batter.
7. Spoon the mixture into paper cases and bake for 18 minutes until risen and firm to the touch. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR WHILE THEY ARE BAKING OR THEY WILL FALL IN THE CENTRE!
8. Leave to cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before decorating.
9. To make the buttercream, place the butter in a large bowl and add the milk. Add the icing sugar, a little at a time, until it is all combined and light in texture.