This is a very moreish bake and will have you sneaking into the kitchen for a wee square in your dressing-gown like Nigella!
200g butter/Stork margarine
200g caster sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2oog self-raising flour
100g desiccated coconut
2-3 tbsp milk
For the icing:
150g icing sugar
1-2 tbsp cold water
Pink food colouring
40g desiccated coconut
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a 30 x 20 cm baking tin with greaseproof paper.
2. In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon.
3. Add in the 3 beaten eggs and mix really well.
4. Stir in the vanilla extract.
5. Sift in the flour and coconut and stir well. Add enough milk so mixture drops easily off the spoon.
6. Bake for 25 – 30 mins, cool slightly in tin and then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely before icing.
7. Make the topping with the icing sugar, water and a drop or 2 of food colouring – it should be a smooth, spreadable paste.
8. Pour into the centre of the cake and spread out to the edges using a palette knife. Sprinkle with coconut and enjoy with some yummy runny custard!