Chicken, Bacon & Leek pie
This was my ultimate favourite school dinner when I was wee and still is one of my favourite comfort foods. Serve with creamy mash and fresh steamed carrots.
25g plain flour
300ml chicken stock
2 tablespoons crème fraiche
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
1 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
120g leeks, sliced
350g chicken breast, cubed
125g back bacon chopped
100g frozen peas
1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
1 beaten egg
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/gas mark 6.
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter, then add the flour, warm stock and milk (warm the stock and milk first to prevent lumps from forming in the sauce).
3. Cook over a medium heat, stirring continuously with a whisk.
4. Bring to the boil and when the mixture starts to thicken reduce the heat.
5. Add the crème fraiche, herbs and seasoning and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
6. In a large frying pan heat the oil and add the chicken, bacon, onion, leeks and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes over a medium heat.
7. When the chicken has browned pour the sauce into the frying pan and stir in the peas. Simmer for ten minutes.
8. Pour the chicken filling into a pie dish and cover with the sheet of pastry cut to slightly bigger than the dish. Brush all over with a beaten egg.
9. Cut out leaves or shapes with the leftover pastry, arrange them on top of the pie and finally brush the top of them with egg.
10. Place the pie in the top of the preheated oven for 20 minutes until the pastry is puffed and golden.
11. Serve with mashed potatoes and vegetables.