Cheddar Wheaten Bread with Mixed Seeds
Updated: Apr 8, 2020
170g wholemeal flour
170g self raising soda bread flour or plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
½ teaspoon salt
50g grated cheddar cheese
250 ml buttermilk or thin natural yoghurt
1-2 tablespoons mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame and poppy)
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/Gas mark 6.
2. Mix both types of flour in a big bowl.
3. Add in the baking soda and salt and stir to mix.
4. Stir in the cheddar cheese.
5. Make a well in the flour and add the buttermilk or yoghurt. Mix with a fork until it forms a soft dough.
6. Turn onto a floured worktop, dust with a little flour and shape gently into a 20cm round shape. Do not knead – this is a sticky dough.
7. Sprinkle a little wholemeal flour onto a baking tray and place the dough onto the tray.
8. Use a sharp knife to cut a cross in the top.
9. Brush with milk and sprinkle over the seeds.
10.Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
11. Remove from the oven with oven mitts and cover with a clean towel. This prevents a hard crust from forming.
12. Enjoy still warm with a bowl of soup or spread with butter.
Tip* If you don't have buttermilk or yoghurt just substitute with milk mixed with a dessertspoon of lemon juice and left for 10 mins. The bread will still be as delicious!