This is a hearty family dish that tastes even better the next day. Kids will enjoy chopping up the vegetables and adding all the different ingredients to this dish
700g stewing steak
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
1 large red onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 carrots, chopped
1 stick celery, chopped
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
Salt and black pepper to season
110g mushrooms, sliced
Handful parsley, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 140 degrees Celsius/Gas mark 1.
2. Toss the steak cubes in flour in a sealed freezer bag.
3. Remove the steak pieces and place them in a saucepan and brown over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add in the water, sugar, nutmeg, herbs, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and vinegar.
5. Bring to the boil and stir in the seasoning.
6. Transfer the contents of the saucepan to a casserole dish and cook in the oven for 2 – 2 ½ hours until tender, stirring occasionally. Add a little more water if it needs it.
7. 15 minutes before the end of cooking add the mushrooms.
8. Before serving, sprinkle the chopped parsley over the top of the casserole.
9. Serve with boiled rice or creamy mashed potato.